Graphic-web-print designing glossary/dictionary of terms
These terms are commonly used in the graphic design
and website design world.
URL URL is the abbreviation for Uniform Resource
Locator and is an address referring to a document on the Internet.
In other words, it is the address of an individual web page element
or web document on the Internet. The syntax of a URL consists of
- The protocol, or the communication language, that the URL uses;
- The domain name, or the exclusive name that identifies a web site;
- The path name of the file to be retrieved, usually an HTML document.
For example, the URL for a home page is commonly written as:
- The http:// is the protocol.
- The www.companyname.com is the domain name.
- The index.html is the path name.
Upload To send a copy of a file from a client to a
server using a modem.
User Interface Design The design of the user interface of a Website
or application. This typically involves application developers,
user interface designers, graphic, as well as information designers
and documentation writers.